Genie Community Forum

Almond Installation for IoT support

Hi,

We would like to try Almond on IoT devices. My understanding is that it is not possible to use almond-cloud hosted at almond.stanford.edu for that, right? In such a case, what is the preferred way to install Almond, almond-cloud, almond-server,… ? My requirement is also to be able to run thingtalk program via the web API.

I will appreciate any help,
Thanks!

I’m using it on Hass.io. There is an “add-on” which simply installs a docker container. So if you aren’t using Home Assistant (you should) there is a docker container.

Hi,

Thanks, so in this setup Almond run on a local Hass.io installation, there is no connection with Web Almond right?

Yes, this is a local instance. This picture is from my Home-Assistant setup

@wlraider701 has answered the question - we do suggest to use Hass.io for IoT devices.
If you want to use Almond directly, we have a beta-version android version of Almond, and almond-server. But only very limited number of devices are supported.

As an alternative to hass.io, you can also use any other mechanism to run Home Assistant (e.g. Home Assistant Cloud, or pip install homeassistant), then add “Almond” as a configuration in Home Assistant. The instructions can be found on the Home Assistant website.

Thanks a lot for your help. Are you interested to make almond-cloud aware of a local user IoT environment? For example, OpenHab (here), which is similar to HomeAssistant, has dedicated I/O plugins that can talk to a remote external system, allowing the remote system to control the devices.

Hi @mareyhome,

I have to admit, I am not very familiar with OpenHAB, beyond knowing it exists. On our side we have limited bandwidth (mostly focused on the core of Almond), and the integration with Home Assistant was spearheaded primarily by Home Assistant developers. So if OpenHAB is something the community is interested in, I would encourage any volunteer to do so. I would recommend following the Home Assistant blueprint and seeing if it can be integrated without Almond changes. If OpenHAB offers some sort of cloud-based proxy (like Home Assistant does with Home Assistant Cloud / NabuCasa) this should be trivial, and Web Almond will be able to communicate to the OpenHAB gateway; otherwise, it might be more complex. I’ll be happy to provide advice to anyone trying this though.

openhab does have a cloud proxy thing. I use openhab for my home automation and you can use https://myopenhab.org/ for the proxy. you install the binding on your local instance, then it connects to the cloud proxy.