Genie Community Forum

Error with new skill

Hi,
Just installed and testing with it. When I try to add the gmail skill, I get the following error. I’m using pop_os

(edu.stanford.Almond:2): GLib-CRITICAL **: 14:25:47.880: g_variant_type_checked_: assertion ‘g_variant_type_string_is_valid (type_string)’ failed
Gjs-Message: 14:25:54.552: JS LOG: Creating device com.gmail
Gtk-Message: 14:25:54.645: Failed to load module “appmenu-gtk-module”

Any suggestions?
Thanks Paul

Hi @gadgethome, welcome to the forum.

At what step does the CRITICAL warning appear? Is it when you click on “Configure New Skill”, or when you click on “GMail”? Or later when you complete sign in?

It would be helpful to see the logs from the background process as well. You should those with journalctl. (Unfortunately there is no easy way to grep for those).

Hi @gcampax thanks for getting back to me.

I get the appmenu-gtk-module as soon as Almond is running and again when I try to add the skill. I will send the logs shortly.

I also tried it from the browser and received this error:

Sign in with Google temporarily disabled for this app

This app has not yet been verified by Google in order to use Google Sign in.

Thanks
Paul

@sileixu do you know what’s going on here? I thought they verified us once?

@gcampax Hi Any update on this? thanks

Is this project dead now?

The project is very much active, as you can verify from our GitHub. I apologize for the delay: we are all busy (as full time graduate students engaged in research). It’s on our TODO list to address this with Google, and we’ll post an update when that happens. Meanwhile, you can override Google’s need for verification (there should be a small link at the bottom).
If you find other bugs, you can also help us by fixing them! Our code is all open source and we welcome contributors.

Hope this helps.