Genie Community Forum

Thread to say "Hello"

This thread is for everyone to say hello and introduce themselves to the community.

I’ll start:

I’m Giovanni Campagna, I’m a 3rd year PhD student at Stanford, advised by prof. Monica Lam.

My main interest is programming languages, but since I started the PhD I discovered my love for natural language processing (“the highest-level programming language”, Monica says). I am no machine learning expert, but I have learned a thing or two about translating natural language into code.

I’ve been involved with Almond since the very beginning, when Almond was called Sabrina and it was a class project in CS294S 2015. I am the lead developer on the project.
Previously, I was involved with the GNOME community, which made me a free-software enthusiast. I am a believer in open-source, and open-source has taught me almost everything I know about software engineering. I am also one of the few people who are foolish enough to run GNU/Linux on the desktop.

Hello Giovanni, everybody in the community.

I’m Salvador Ferrer, I work as an R&D manager ad Architect at a networking company.

I found your project in a random search for Gnome shell extensions and it sparked my curiosity since it links very well with current projects we are developing. The projects fall under a generic description of IFFT tools ‘on steroids’ and I’ve been researching for a while natural language interfaces for the project. I’m very glad to discover an OpenSource option.

Like you, I’m one of the foolish enough to run GNU/Linux on my desktops for professional and personal use, much to the despair of my corporate IT department. :smile:

I plan to take Almond for a ride for my personal use and research with my team if it makes sense in our future plans. I look forward to see it grow!

1 Like

Great to hear there could be synergies, welcome to the community!

Hi Giovanni, all

I discovered just recently OVAL / Almond projects. Love all here: the concepts (The Open Linguistic Web) and pretty all the tech solutions!

I currently work as researcher/developer at ITD-CNR. The Istituto per le Tecnologie Didattiche (ITD) is one of the research institutes of the Italian National Research Council (https://www.itd.cnr.it/index.php?FlagSelected=en).

As a software engineer my research is about Conversational AI and chatbots (now in education realms). I’m developing CPIAbot, a (Telegram) chatbot to help foreigners/immigrants to learn Italian language.
I developed for that my stateful dialog manager NaifJS (maybe soon available as opensource). More info in paper where I’m coauthor: https://twitter.com/solyarisoftware/status/1128598447182045184

Be forehands I supported great Bruce Wilcox’s opensource project ChatScript (https://github.com/ChatScript/ChatScript) having re-engineered and renewed all the documentation porting in markdown format (https://github.com/ChatScript/ChatScript/tree/master/WIKI). I contributed also as tester.

I’m more and more focused on smartspeakers and voice-based applications.

Last but not least I manage the blog https://www.convcomp.it after event #convcomp2016, first italian independent conference about conversational computing (June 2016).

I’m here to better understand OVAL vision and I’ll possibly happy to help, maybe also on sw and about “communication”, see: https://twitter.com/solyarisoftware/status/1142378106013081600

Thanks!
giorgio

2 Likes

Hello everyone!

I’m Ricky Grannis-Vu and I’m an undergraduate at Stanford, majoring in computer science. I’m really interested in blockchain, natural language processing, and user interface design.

I’m working with the Almond team this summer as a research assistant, developing an app to exercise the features that Almond provides. I look forward to getting to know you all!

Hola! I am a Stanford undergraduate (History '92) developing a virtual storytelling assistant in Japan, where I live with my wife and son. Happy to be here and looking forward to getting to know folks in this space. I have a Masters in Instructional Design from NYU (DMDL, '01) and love learning new technologies that we can use to help people find and tell their best stories to heal themselves and the world. (Yes, I AM an old hippie :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Giovanni and everybody in the community.

I’m Daniel Palomino from Perú, I’m a 2nd year MSc. student in Computer Science.

I’m passionate about software development, mainly Free Software and Open Source projects in which I started several years ago. C, c++, python and ruby are my favorites programming languages and everyday tools.

Actually, my research is related to development of Deep Learning Techniques, especially Language Models including attention approach, in problems related to NLP. It will be an honor to collaborate in this community!

1 Like

Hi everyone! Daniel, I was born in Lima, Peru, raised in Menlo Park, CA and now live in Brooklyn, NY. Small world indeed.

I’m not a CS major (I’ve been out of school for over a decade), but I have some interest in where this is going. Looking forward to getting my hands dirty.

Luis

Hi Daniel, welcome to the community!

Hi Team, I’m a Hass.io user. They recently added support for almond. I’ve previously looked for a way to text my home. I’m using a telegram bot to experiment with controlling my home.

Hi, my name is Kit. I am a Lecturer in Evolutionary Anthropology at Bristol University. I use Bayesian phylogenetic reconstruction of evolutionary history to investigate the way information systems influence cooperation within societies. I am trying to identify the common features of previous information systems, such as language, writing and printing to help to understand the way trust and communication can work in the computer age. I’m not a coder, but would be really happy to talk to others about how virtual assistants can help individuals to navigate the virtual world. I hope that I may be able to contribute to the development of Almond.

Hi everyone,
I’m a DevOps engineer (working a lot on sdlc automation). I’m starting my journey to whole life automation by my home and that’s where I discovered Almond/Genie (maybe few hours ago). And let me say that I’m both very impressed and thrilled to start implementing my own one (maybe contributing on making it work in french too).

On the side, I like building modular synths!

Hi, My name is rahman,
I’m a Dev mobile android , nice to meet you all !