Genie Community Forum

Tutorial for Beginner Developer?

I am interested in creating a standalone almond device and appreciate the thorough information you have publicly provided. However, my abilities are limited as I am a beginner with very basic Python skills, and hobbyist experiences running Linux at home. Do you have any resources available that could walk me step by step on using your end user programmable virtual assistants GitHub page?

Here are a couple of questions I already have: If I were to attempt this on a raspberry pi, what OS should I run? Do you recommend any specific hardware?

I appreciate any feedback and support.

1 Like

If you’re interested in building a custom smart-speaker-like Almond, we don’t have a lot of documentation at the moment. The best place to start is the almond-server README.

On a Raspberry Pi, I would recommend sticking to Raspbian. It’s usually the best choice in terms of HW compatibility. I recommend I Pi 4 and USB mic + speakers.

Alternatively, you can install Home Assistant on the Pi, and then install the Almond addon from the Home Assistant add-ons store. That should be relatively straightforward.