Genie Community Forum

F-Droid

I think it would be great if we could put Almond on F-Droid. It’s an alternative Android app store for FOSS apps, and given Almond’s FOSS nature, it would be a natural fit. It would also make it a lot easier for people to install Almond if they don’t have Google Play installed. (Say what you will, but some people choose to cut out Google as much as possible, while others don’t have the choice to install it)

Sorry if this isn’t in the proper category, but I think it bears discussing and didn’t really think it fit cleanly anywhere else.

1 Like

Hi @The1AndMany, and welcome to the community!

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, Almond uses the Google Play library for certain functionality (among which, letting users access their Google accounts from Almond), and as far as I understand, apps that use Google Play are not allowed on F-Droid.
It would be useful to make that dependency optional, I believe, for the sake of people who want to avoid Google, but I don’t know if we’ll have the resources to make it happen. On the other hand, if you or anyone else wants to help, that would be amazing!

I just found almond project and I think that it is a great alternative to common profit based assistants. So it is very important to be independent from the google services and to have a FOSS version.

1 Like