Genie Community Forum

Home Assistant - Almond Server - Almond Client

So I run Home Assistant in a docker container. I setup and configured the Almod server in a docker container as well. I then proceed to setup a Raspberry Pi Zero W with the Genie client.

I have configured home assistant to talk to Almond and can verify that work’s but I can not get Genie to talk to Home Assistant.

When I try to have Genie turn off the light’s I get the following message.
“You need to enable Home Assistant before you can use that command.”

So does the server and client need to be on the same hardware for this to work? I am/was hoping to setup multiple Genie Cleints and replace my Alexa’s.

Hi @mediacowboy, welcome to our community!

The setup you describe should be supported.

Can you clarify exactly how you set up the server component of Genie?
What docker image did you use? How did you associate Home Assistant with the Genie server? Normally, Genie server runs as a Home Assistant add-on, in which case the association is done by the add-on start-up scripts, but if you run in a separate docker there is a manual step to add the Home Assistant skill.

Also, are you sure that the Genie client is running against your local server? How did you configure the client?

Thank you for getting back to me.

So I run Home Assistant Container and have modified the config per the manueal step.

almond:
  type: local
  host: http://127.0.0.1:3000

I am running the following Container and have the container setup as follows.

genie:
    image: docker.io/stanfordoval/almond-server:latest
    container_name: genie
    restart: unless-stopped
    ports:
      - 3000:3000
    volumes:
      - ${USERDIR}/docker/almond:/var/lib/genie-server

I setup the client as per the image.genie-setup

Also what is the best way to setup the client to auto start with the pi?

Right now for testing I SSH into the Pi and start the genie-cleint manually.

@gcampax, So I think I figured out my issue. I run my home assistant instance as the host. Once I switched almond over to using host it all started working. Thank you for taking the time to help.

We’re planning to have systemd services for the client soon. We’ll probably have to switch to run the client as a system service to support LEDs, buttons, wifi configuration, and other features. The systemd service will happen at the same time.

1 Like