Genie Community Forum

Standalone server should use insecure mode or put behind a reverse proxy

Hi,

thanks for this nice project! I’m impressed what is already possible and looking forward to new skills, …

the last couple of days I was struggling to get my standalone server up and running with Home Assistant. The solutions so far was configuring the server to use the ‘insecure’ mode so it accepts connections from my external home assistant. I believe this piece of information is missing in the current documentation. I currently did this in a hard coded way and should do this by modifying the environment variable but have no idea where to do this in the docker machine.

Sorry, can I ask some further information? Which version of HA is running? (core, supervised, docker, etc.), and how you configured the connection to genie? then the configuration of the “server to use ‘insecure’ mode” was ment to be the Genie Server application?

Hi,

I’m running HA supervised. I’m running a standalone Genie server on another machine in the same subnet (192.168.2.x/24). I noticed that the genie server didn’t allow the connection from my home assistant machine. When looking into the code, I noticed the different security modes. Switching it (hardcoded at this moment) to insecure solved the problem. I noticed others have had similar issues and if you follow the documentation of setting up a standalone genie server and connecting with HA, this security feature is not mentioned. I assume there is a better way than my hardcoded solution :wink:

Well don’t know why you are running genie on another machine, but due to our relationship with HA and the job done together, so the “better way” is having genie server running inside your supervised, as add-on, and you can avoid all those other problems.

https://wiki.almond.stanford.edu/en/getting-started/installation-guide/3rd-party-home-assistant-addon

Actually the solution you found is a “common workaround” due to the security of HA regards to outer services.