Genie Community Forum

Timers and alarms

hi all,
I think an important part of a virtual assistant is connected to the ability to manage timers and alarms.
I’m thinking about cooking timer for example: I’m cooking a recipe and it says “boil it for 30 minutes”, it could be very useful a timer I can set with my voice while doing everything else…
People having Alexa say “Alexa, set a timer: 30 minutes”

alarms could be useful too: I can have almond in my bedroom and set an alarm for next morning

and reminders too: I have to remember to pay car insurance, I can set a reminder for 1y from now to remember next date.
I suppose reminders could be managed by some calendar skill (as iCalendar one)

Thanks you for your attention, sorry for my poor English

1 Like

I second this - this is a typical use case in my household: “set a 10 minute timer”

Good news! These commands are supported in Genie 1.0:

• set an alarm at (time)
  • set a timer for (interval)
  • set a reminder

Timers and reminders are managed as rules in Genie (see the My Rules tab)

cool! I take it that’s not the version that we can use as part of the HA add-on, right? As ‘set a timer for 10 minutes’ or ‘set a 10 minute timer’ did not work for me.

You’ll need Genie 1.0, which is currently under review if you use the official add-on repository. You can set up our third-party add-on repository meanwhile (guide)

I am running edge-3fb172d, but since I have done a conversion in the conversation (which worked great, so thank you for that!) I am only getting results from Bing when I ask set a timer for 10 minutes:

what am I doing wrong here?

Oh right, the very latest edge version of Genie is talking to the old (production) cloud backend. It won’t work well until we deploy the new cloud backend in a couple days.

I pushed a change to the edge add-on build to use the dev cloud backend (as it should). Can you try the latest edge add-on and see if it works for you?

It’s working for me (using Edge), although the English of the reply is kind of wonky:

“Alright, I will timer expire in 10 minutes.”

Glad it’s working though! Setting timers is honestly the most common actual use I’ve seen for voice assistants.

yeah, it works here now as well. The response is kind of weird, but the timer works. Thanks.

Although the timer itself works for me it doesn’t play any sort of alarm or have any indication of the alarm on the client. I’m using the home assistant installation

To clarify the notification shows up on the server but no indication of the alarm goes off on the client