Genie Community Forum

Twitter on Web Almond

Hi there, I’m a newbie and have very recently come across Almond and was curious about creating a twitter “device” that would let me send/recieve direct messages on Twitter. From my understanding, this can be done using a JS package and a set of high level commands (looked through some previous threads). If this is the case, I was wondering if there was some more detail on how to setup authorisation (setting up twitter login etc.). The tutorial on Linkedin to do with Handling authentication doesn’t seem to be there, I believe because linkedin removed their API? Thanks.

Hi, welcome to our community!

Twitter authentication is a tricky one, because Twitter uses OAuth 1.0 while the rest of the world moved to OAuth 2.0
Luckily, we had a working Twitter skill in the past. The code is still available in our skill git repository. The skill is in the “staging” folder, which collects the skills that are known broken. Most of the skill itself is indeed broken because Twitter changed the API, but the authentication should still work.
If you would like to help restore the Twitter skill to a working state, it would be great! We also have a lot of natural language data that you can leverage to make a high quality skill.

Note though that, as far as I know, Twitter removed API access to direct messages. You can build a skill to search and post tweets, but DMs won’t work.